- 1 medium (8-ounce) sweet potato
- 1 cup millet
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 celery stalk, peeled to remove strings and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas, (about 1 pound unshelled) or frozen
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces buckwheat, radish, or alfalfa sprouts
- Tahini Sauce for Vegetarian Burgers, for serving
- Homemade Hamburger Buns
- Olive oil, to brush buns
- Step 1
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Scrub sweet potato, and prick with a fork. Bake until tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven, and peel when cool enough to handle. Transfer to a large bowl, mash, and set aside.
- Step 2
Meanwhile, rinse millet. Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil; add millet and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer until all the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and add to mashed sweet potato; mix to combine.
- Step 3
Place carrot and celery in a food processor; pulse to chop finely. Transfer from processor to a small bowl. Pulse onion and garlic until finely chopped, and add to carrot and celery. Heat 2 teaspoons sesame oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic, onions, celery, and carrots; cook until onions are translucent, about 7 minutes. Add to millet mixture; stir to combine.
- Step 4
Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt and peas; cook until tender but still firm, about 3 minutes. Drain; transfer peas to a bowl of ice water for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain again, and combine with chickpeas in a food processor; pulse to chop medium-fine. Add to millet mixture.
- Step 5
Add coriander, cumin, fennel, cayenne, flour, sunflower seeds, lemon juice, chives, parsley, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and pepper. Mix well, and form into 8 patties.
- Step 6
Heat 2 teaspoons sesame oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add four patties, and cook until golden brown and heated through, 7 to 8 minutes per side. Keep warm in a low oven; repeat with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and patties.
- Step 7
Serve immediately with sprouts and tahini sauce on buns brushed with olive oil and toasted. Serve Grilled Pineapple and Avocado Salsa on the side.